Alien to turkey dish! Don't worry. An easy turkey
recipe for you.
- 1 - 6 pound Turkey
- Fresh or frozen and defrosted salt
- Crisco vegetable oil
- 8 to 10 cups - Stuffing, optional
- Warm the oven to 325 ° F.
- Place the oven rack in a manner where the turkey is in center
without been striking the roof of the oven
- Bring the turkey from the refrigerator and discard the pack
of giblets from the body or neck cavity or use them for gravy
- Wash the turkey beneath cold water, pat off cavity clean with
- Set the turkey breast side up (the flatter side down) on a
flat rack in a large roasting pan.
- The pan should be 2 to 2 ½ inches deep and it should be
large enough to hold the turkey comfortably.
- Lightly rub the turkey inside and out with salt. Rub it with
- If stuffing the turkey, spoon the stuffing into the body and
neck cavities of the turkey.
- Do not pack it tightly. There is no need to bind the turkey
to hold the stuffing inside.
- Roast the turkey for about 15 minutes.
- For a 16-pound stuffed turkey, it takes about 4 hours.
- If the turkey is not stuffed, it takes about 3 ½ hours.
- After 3 hours of roasting, look at the turkey. If the breast
is golden brown, cover it loosely with foil to slow down its
cooking while the dark meat continues to cook.
- If the breast is not golden brown yet, wait for 15 to 20
minutes and check again.
- About 30 minutes before the turkey should be done, insert an
instant-read thermometer into the thickest section of the thigh;
be cautious that the wand of the thermometer don't touch the
- The turkey is done when the dark meat is 180 ° F.
- Insert the thermometer into the stuffing. It should register
160 to 165 ° F in the center.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and use large spoons or
spatulas to transfer it to a platter.
- Try not to pierce the skin during transfer.
- Let the turkey sit for 20 to 30 minutes before carving. There
is no need to cover the turkey to keep it warm.
- Scrap the fat off from the pan drippings and use the
remaining drippings to make gravy (See our recipe for Turkey
- Carve the turkey by first removing the drumsticks and thighs.
- Cut off the wings.
- Slice the breast meat from the turkey.